Find your next favourite story now
Login

Editors’ Picks

Each month our Editors pick those which we believe are exceptional.

Due to the sheer volume of submissions, sometimes stories do not stay on the front page for more than a few hours, and some absolute gems get lost in the crowd. Hence we've created this “Editors’ Picks” page, where we call out what we believe are some truly extraordinary pieces of writing.

We may miss some too, but most of those that deserve higher praise will be listed here.

Larry’s Second Chance

A near death experience and a sarcastic show-biz bumblebee give a man a second chance at life.

“You’re asking me how it’s going?” I said incredulously. “How can you ask me that? I’m paralyzed and I’m dying, for god’s sake!” “Well you don’t have to be sarcastic!” came the response. “And besides, you’re not dead…..yet. By the way, my name is Waldo. N...

Ride Across The River

One man rights a wrong with a wrong - or does he?

Ride Across the River I heard her start to cry as soon as the door closed behind me. It didn’t make me feel any better. Maybe I didn’t know what all this was doing to her? What I did know was that whilst I was waiting in the middle of Tiger Bay for Eddie,...

There is no one I can talk toAbout the pain I’ve buried deep inside,No one who would understand. So I have summoned all my courageTo sustain me as I bare my soul to you today. I did everything I was taught to do. I never spoke to strangers,I stayed indoor...

Better Than You

It's inevitable, it seems, to encounter someone like this along life's journey...

Hello, I'm new here. I am better than you. I'm smarter and kindlier — Cleverer too! You're stupid - you're snooty - You're unworthy of my precious time. As for me, it's plain to see: I'm magnificent and sublime! While I am Secretariat,Or perhaps Seattle S...

Music-lovers stand jam-packed in the arenaSurrounded by my musical family of all creeds, races, and ages Differences discarded like last season’s fashions Jubilation spills forth in grins matched like handbagsto shimmering eyesAirborne snippets of snatche...

Bedtime

The horrors and rewards of child minding.

If I do fail my exams I could get a job in a nursery looking after little kids, I'd like that and it's one of the few things I'm good at. My neighborhood child minding services are in demand, and now I'm receiving requests from mothers I haven't even met....

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Sonnet for The Silent City

An evocation of summer.

  The noon-time silence is complete, As sleepy felines laze replete On antique terracotta tiles And in doorways of many styles. Warmly the polished granites glow, Gone is the human ebb and flow, Only the shadows, dark and deep, Across the city slowly cree...

Neon Sign

A bit dark...I know, I know...it is in part the precursor to Elizabeth Duncan...

I guess I really can’t blame them.How could they be expected to know the truth,When all they see is some well-rehearsed smile,That I have been putting on in the morning,Like a clean shirt.I think I have it down to a science,I’ve been doing it for so long....

We had a fight today

Abuse - I never know what to put in these

You hit me again todayIt was over an unwashed plateIt stung and my face throbbed My teeth hurt where they had chattered hard together I said nothing and went to my room to cryYou grabbed me by my hair today And pulled me around the room Because you had a...

Lullaby

A lullaby is sung to a baby. As the child grows he begins to appreciate its meaning and power.

The click of the light switch focussed his attention and he bobbed back to the surface of consciousness. Soft, retreating footfalls. A whispered kiss. The baby opened his eyes. A gentle glow illuminated the room to his left and his gaze, seeking comfort,...

American Lullaby: Chapter One

In a fast-paced city of unforgiving social predators, two masters of the game collide...

She had the most beautiful profile, almost like a deer sniffing the wind, picking up the scent of gunpowder and tobacco and wondering from what direction the bullet might come. In the beginning he likened it to a natural instinct in him that made him want...

We Shall Never Forget (9-11 Tribute)

Recalling the better aspects of humanity on that day...the heroes...

Let the world always remember,That fateful day in September,And the ones who answered duty's call,Should be remembered by us all.Who left the comfort of their home,To face perils as yet unknown,An embodiment of goodness on a day,When men's hearts had gone...