Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
The Strange White Man, Part 10

3
2 Comments 2
1.1k Views 1.1k
600 words 600 words
Night had fallen and Carpenter exited his resting place deep within the cave on the Indian burial grounds. The Lakota's penchant for violence when dealing with trespassers kept the townsfolk away and their reverence for the ancient dead kept them away, so it was a good choice.

He entered the ranch house and found Holly laying in a pool of her own blood. A deafening scream of rage and anger issued from his throat as he ran to her side and discovered she was just barely alive.

"Who did this to you?" he asked.

"The Carlson brothers," she replied in a weak voice.

"Oh how they will pay."

"I don't wanna die."

"Even I cannot halt death," he answered softly.

"Yes you can, make me what you are."

"You don't know what you are asking—this isn't life, it's a curse. To live darkness for an eternity, forever hiding from people. To never feel the sun on your skin or view a sunrise. To never hear the birds singing and to watch powerless as lovers succumb to sickness and old age and die while you remain young and alone."

With her remaining strength Holly managed to sit up and bite his neck. It was a pitiful attempt as in her weakened condition she didn't even leave a mark.

"Please," she begged.

"So be it, " he whispered.

He raised her neck to his lips and drank deeply and listened to her heart barely beating. He then took his boot knife and slashed his wrist and placed it to her lips. He felt and heard her drinking his blood and when he knew she had enough he removed it. He listened again and her heart had stopped beating. Holly's mortal remains had died.

He picked her up in his arms and, moving with incredible speed, carried her across his property and into the cave. He moved deeper and deeper until he reached the place he rested. He gently deposited her on the ground and then placed a kiss on her forehead.

"I will see you soon, " he whispered.

He then journeyed to the bunkhouse and spoke to the man Holly had hired to be the ramrod. The man was surprised as he had rarely seen much yet spoke to the owner, his name was Johnny Marcus.

"Is there a problem?" Marcus asked nervously.

"No problem. You and your men have done an excellent job with the place."

Marcus visible relaxed, for reasons unknown just being in the presence of the man they called Carpenter made him very nervous.

"Thank you."

"Now circumstances are such that I need you and your men to take on an additional task."

"What do ya need?"

"Your men will need to watch the ranch house all day and all night. I mean a complete check to ensure no one has attempted or is attempting to gain entrance. The doors and windows must be physically checked and not a quick walk around."

"What if we catch someone?"

"I would prefer their bodies never be found."

"We can do that little thing, but what about your housekeeper?"

"She will soon take on other duties and will not be around during the day."

"Is that all?"

"No, until Miss Holly resumes her duties you will need to pay the men. I have gold in the barn that you can take to town and convert into paper money. You will receive extra pay for this and you can give a small portion to your men for the increased workload."

"Consider it done," was all Marcus said as he stood to leave.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments