Find your next favourite story now
Login

Musings Stories

Our Musings category focuses on speculation, reflection and deep thought, covering everything from self-contemplation to humorous views on life in general.

This is the place to submit your thoughts on spiritual matters or philosophical subjects and to share your feelings on any topics you’ve ever pondered or wondered about.

A bushel full of my eye. In fields of autumn and the cornstalks. With the shadow of the cider mill and the glowing meadows among the pumpkins. Giving inspiration as the wind's calliope dances. Seeking antiquity's faith and salivation. Based on Philosophy from nature's sewing basket. Whispering in my ear, the song of the cicadas with violins and folded wings. In pantomime of memories and old rubber tire swings.

Score 0 0
0
128 Views 128
70 words 70 words

The Other Side

The underside of Mardi Gras is a sight to see.

New Orleans. A city of many beautiful colors, parades, and traditions. It is rich in historic homes and buildings. It is known worldwide for its lavish street festivals and outstanding performers. It's known for its grand celebration of the Mardi Gras holiday, reflecting the practice of the last night of eating rich, fatty foods before the ritual Lent season. This time of year brings tens of thousands of people to partici...

In my hand, the sand shaker and the utensil which I scribble. In the throat of the dark, I sleep in the inkwell. Hearing the footfalls of voices. "This little piggy, he brings a fork..." From the shadow space of bedlam's widow. Now a hollow shell on the pillow. Catching a breath, making a cat's cradle from strings of death's library. Inhaling the screams of illicit dreams. Perhaps, another theme. From the inner sanctum of...

Score 0 0
1
136 Views 136
122 words 122 words

Listening to Chuck-will's-widow singing the same song of loneliness as nightjars pulling at my heart when I should be sleeping with the cruise of the night and dreaming of my rocking horse with a wink from mom's eye sailing off in a wooden shoe listening to Chuck-will's-widow and saying my prayers... Amen

Score 2 2
1
141 Views 141
67 words 67 words

Away from the carbon dioxide and the clatter of the city and the citizenry sleepwalking. Away from the mainstream and their need to know. Now breathing fresh air from the manifolds in the trees. No rabbit hole to hide in or Johnny B. Goode in Police uniforms to issue citations. Now smitten by Mother Nature and comfortable in our skin. Playing our own Bossa Nova. Living life with the luxury of not stepping on a fool's toe....

Score 2 2
2
122 Views 122
144 words 144 words

Ashes Away

An ode to special friend

Hair of coal Eyes made from chocolate Lips soft as feathers Body adorned in tats of many colors Everything capped off with occasional piercings This is how I see you in my dreams Through eyes blinded by your beauty I see the light of your inner self shining out from an behind an amazing smile I hear the love and compassion blossom from your personality Blessed are the ones lucky enough to be near you Compelled are they to...

Score 3 3
3
182 Views 182
154 words 154 words

The Beach Beckons Me

Will I let a little cool breeze keep me inside?

After days of fog and overcast skies, the sun shines brightly today. The still-chilly air doesn’t bother the tourists, but I’m content to view the beach from my window. The water, so rough and wavy yesterday, is calm and serene to gaze at today. Occasionally a boat will pass by, adding little ripples to water that is otherwise as still as a lake. A little red-haired girl plays on the shore, searching for shells. As I watc...

From the larder of my portmanteau. I address the coming of the beast. Rocking the wooden horse, wearing shoe lifts from Abercrombie & Fitch. Beating a brass spittoon with a gewgaw in the asylum of my mind's cabaret. Scratching at my feet of raven clay, tapping on cataracts of the toad's rigor mortis. Whetting my appetite for the soul's corset line, Sparring me no garter. Raising my hackles. Dressed in a johnny gown and ch...

Score 0 0
0
133 Views 133
157 words 157 words

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

I had a dream last night. It was a silly dream about a class reunion. I couldn’t remember my classmates' names and they were trying to make me guess. I went to get my yearbook to help me. I remembered all the classmates who had died and I thought for a moment about using a magic marker to put an X across their faces. That would be disrespectful. Of course, I wouldn’t do that. Then I woke up and remembered that you were so...

Score 4 4
5
170 Views 170
116 words 116 words

Geez, I Wonder Why

Snowmobiling for gullible dummies…

“You know the trails? You have GPS?” Done and done. On that fateful day, I broke one of my cardinal rules: Do Not Ride With Strangers. But we were new to the area. He wasn’t. He had GPS. We didn’t. Sure, just like everyone else, my iPhone had Google Maps. But that’s no substitute for navigating waypoints through a wintery bird sanctuary of thousands of indiscernible trees and dozens of frozen swamps. So, we proceeded. He...

Score 5 5
2
233 Views 233
1.5k words 1.5k words

In the lazy daze days of Junebugs, swinging on an old used tire hanging from a tree. The dust would kick up from the dried red clay. The Peanut Man would come along, singing something about, "Old fools..." My shoestrings were full of knots, but I paid it no never mind. Taking a shine to a seesaw and monkey bars. Life was full of daydreams, Mars, and Moon Pies. My make-believe friend, Mr. Bear, and I would often have tea a...

Score 2 2
2
124 Views 124
134 words 134 words

On boulevards of broken dreams where the sidewalk ends touched again by memories only to end as a fantasy with a broken heart and wrinkle nose from the incense, I suppose, knowing how this symphony ends on boulevards of broken dreams

Score 0 0
0
151 Views 151
41 words 41 words

Evermore forever the rainbow no darkness between my feet only the sun and memories to rejoice your voice from crimson fields of your lips and mascara shade of your smile beneath the willows of butterflies dreaming

Score 0 0
0
238 Views 238
36 words 36 words

Solar whoa

When the lights go out

Our power went out this morning. We received a text from a friend asking if we had power. No, ours is off. The friend said his went off mid-perk on the coffee pot. I said to my husband, "he has gone solar; how is he out?" My husband asked, getting the reply that Duke Energy hasn't hooked up his solar yet.

Score 3 3
2
142 Views 142
61 words 61 words

Brother Sun And Sister Moon

The elusive effect the Sun and Moon has on our lives

Oh brother Sun your radiant rays, they warm and cheer in many ways, to brown the skin and strengthen bone, our bodies crave for you alone. We need to see you in the sky to reassure us hope is there, when clouds hide you we do despair. Your essence is a potent part of why we hold passion in our heart. You greet us and bid us farewell, with golden rays you weave a spell, caress our heart and bodies too and return next day,...

Score 4 4
3
185 Views 185
287 words 287 words