Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Platform 7

"The chilling tale of Maggie May, a once-promising artist who, after falling on hard times, turned to crime and prostitution."

2
1 Comment 1
6 Views 6
1.3k words 1.3k words

Liverpool Lime Street train station, nestled in the heart of the city, pulsed with an undercurrent that was felt rather than seen. A grandiose edifice of Victorian ambition, its arched roof and labyrinthine platforms masked an eldritch resonance that only the sensitive could perceive. By daylight, it was a bustling hub of transit, but as dusk descended, the station’s true nature unfurled in subtle, sinister whispers.

Maggie May was one of those who felt the station's pull. Once a promising painter, her canvases had captured the vibrant life of Liverpool’s streets, the play of light and shadow, and the depth of human emotion. From a young age, Maggie had harbored dreams of becoming an artist, but the harsh realities of growing up poor and female in Liverpool had crushed those aspirations. Opportunities were not open to her, and survival had demanded a different path.

Forced to turn to crime and prostitution, Maggie roamed the streets, leaving behind a trail of broken hearts and stolen purses. Her infamy was immortalized in song, a melody that lingered in the back alleys and taverns of the city. Despite her fall from grace, she always carried a sketchpad with her, filling its pages with images that spilled from her mind in fits of creativity and despair.

Now, each night after work, Maggie found herself drawn to Liverpool Lime Street, unable to resist its magnetic pull. The station seemed to breathe around her, exhaling a cold, damp mist that clung to her skin. She passed by the old café, its lights flickering as if resisting an unseen force. The few remaining passengers hurried by, their eyes cast downward, unwilling to acknowledge the strangeness that hung in the air like a dense fog.

Maggie descended to Platform 7, known among the locals as a place best avoided after dark. Legends told of trains that arrived with no passengers, carriages filled with shadows that shifted and writhed. The platform's old clock, frozen at 3:15, ticked with a sound more akin to a heartbeat than a timepiece.

There, she saw him—a man in a long coat, standing beneath a lamp that seemed to cast more shadow than light. His face was obscured by a wide-brimmed hat, but his eyes, oh those eyes, glinted with an unnatural luminescence. He held an antique pocket watch, which he studied with an intensity that bordered on obsession.

"You have come," he said, his voice a low rasp that seemed to scrape the very air.

Maggie nodded, unable to tear her gaze away from his eyes, which now seemed to swirl with colors that defied description. She felt as though she was being drawn into those depths, into a place where time and reality fractured and reformed in impossible configurations.

"You perceive them too, do you not?" he inquired, a hint of a smile curling his lips.

"The images," Maggie whispered, her voice trembling. "The creatures. They visit me in dreams."

He stepped closer, and she could smell the age on him, the scent of dust and decay. "They are not merely dreams. Liverpool Lime Street is a conduit, a nexus where our world brushes against others. It draws those who are attuned to its frequencies."

A sudden wind gusted through the platform, carrying with it a cacophony of distant voices. Maggie shivered, clutching her sketchbook tighter. "Why me?"

"You possess the gift of sight," he said. "And the curse of it. The station has chosen you as its chronicler. Through your art, you will reveal the hidden worlds that intersect here."

As he spoke, a train pulled into the platform, its carriages gleaming with an otherworldly light. The doors slid open with a hiss, revealing not the familiar seats and aisles but a corridor that stretched into darkness, lined with mirrors that reflected scenes of nightmare and wonder.

"Will you board?" the man asked, extending a hand.

Maggie hesitated, her mind a tumult of fear and curiosity. She knew that to step onto that train was to abandon the familiar world for one of endless strangeness. But the pull of the unknown was irresistible, a siren call that echoed in the deepest recesses of her soul.

But then she thought of her past, the wild nights and reckless abandon, the men who had loved her and the sailors who had cursed her name. She remembered the judge's sentence and her fall from grace, the bitter end of her notorious exploits. The train, with its corridor of darkness and mirrors reflecting scenes of nightmare and wonder, seemed to beckon with both promise and peril.

"No," she said firmly, stepping back. "I cannot. Not yet."

The man's eyes narrowed slightly, but he did not withdraw his hand. "Are you certain? This opportunity may not present itself again."

Maggie nodded, more resolute now. "I am certain. There are things I must do here, things I must understand and complete."

He sighed, the sound a weary exhalation that seemed to carry the weight of ages. "Very well. The choice is yours, but remember, the station's pull is not so easily ignored. You will find it calling to you, in dreams and whispers."

As the train doors closed with a final, echoing clang and the train lurched forward, the man disappeared into the shadows, leaving Maggie alone on the platform. She watched the train until it was swallowed by the darkness, then turned and walked back towards the station's entrance, her footsteps echoing in the empty concourse.

But as she returned to her nightly haunt, the man's words haunted her. Each evening, after the last bell tolled, she found herself drawn back to Liverpool Lime Street by an unseen power. The station's strange allure gripped her, a pull that was impossible to resist. As she wandered the platforms, an old melody seemed to float through the air, a haunting tune that whispered her name and lured her back to Platform 7. The sketches in her book grew darker, more detailed, filled with images that defied explanation.

The station seemed to sigh, settling back into its quotidian guise. The few remaining passengers went about their lives, blissfully unaware of the cosmic ballet that had just transpired. But for those attuned to the peculiar frequencies of Liverpool Lime Street, the station remained a place of endless mystery, a portal to the unfathomable depths where reality and nightmare intertwined.

And so, night after night, Maggie May wandered the station, caught between the world she knew and the mysteries that lay beyond. The figure of the man in the long coat haunted her dreams, his glowing eyes a constant reminder of the choice she had made and the inexorable pull of the unknown that awaited her. The melody, so familiar yet so strange, echoed in her mind, guiding her steps to Platform 7 where the boundary between worlds was thinnest.

But Maggie's existence, or what she perceived as existence, was not what it seemed. She was, in truth, a ghost, trapped in a cycle she could neither understand nor escape. She had died years ago, in a tragic incident at the station that had claimed her life but not her spirit. Unaware of her true nature, she repeated her nightly wanderings, forever drawn to the station by a force she could not comprehend.

The passengers, the staff, all looked through her as if she were not there, and in a sense, she wasn't. She was a specter, a shadow, a remnant of a life cut short, forever seeking answers in the dimly lit corridors of Liverpool Lime Street.

And so, Maggie continued her restless search, a ghostly figure in a world that had moved on without her, forever haunted by the man in the long coat and the train that promised escape, yet never truly understanding why she could never leave. In her ethereal state, she roamed the station that had once seen her downfall, eternally linked to the haunting melody of her own lament, a spectral reminder of Liverpool’s most infamous daughter.

Published 
Written by swindonbloke
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments