Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Adventures Across the Starways - 2

"Sive frowned. 'Damn his hide, he's smarter then I gave him credit for.' Time for Plan B."

13
11 Comments 11
1.3k Views 1.3k
1.5k words 1.5k words
Chapter 2

by Kari and Khadaji

While the men confronted each other, Sive had the time to assess her would-be saviour. He had the look of no nonsense about him.

She put her knife back in her boot, trying to decide how to put herself in the best possible light.

If I play my cards right this might just be my ticket out of this hell hole. Damsel in distress? No, he would see right through that one...hey, I could be just a helpless gal, making her way across the galaxy, when those thugs tried to take all my credits. No, I guess my best bet would be to more or less tell the truth.

“Now, lass, suppose you tell me what kind of trouble you've gotten into to have those two bruisers on your tail.”

Straightening up Sive looked up at the man.

“Thanks for getting me out of a sticky situation, but I'm pretty sure I had everything under control. I mean, well thanks.” Sticking out her hand she added, “Let's start again, Hi my name is Sive.” When he just looked her up and down, she brought her hand back, pretending to straighten out her vest. Lifting up an eyebrow she tossed out, “Are you at least going to tell me your name?”

All she got for her efforts was a smirk.

“OK, OK...have it your way. I was having a friendly game of cards with a bunch of the local guys, when I noticed some pretty shady goings on. When all was said and done I seemed to have lost my proverbial shirt to the owner of the bar. A low life known as Ricky. He thinks I owe him 500 credits but I don't — he was cheating, I swear he was. But being alone, if I don't pay him off, he will sell me to one of the bounty hunters that come around every few months collecting defenseless humans for slave labour....at least that's the story I've heard.”

We stood there in the lane just staring at each other for another minute, until feeling rather uncomfortable I finally asked, "Do you really have a ship called the 'Tainted Angel'?"

"Yes I do. How did you get here? You're as local as I am, girl. I know the locals well enough to know that they only try to cheat outsiders, never each other. I believe the playing cards bit, but I somehow doubt you're as innocent as you're trying to imply." He looked her over. "Yep, you're dressed anything but like an innocent girl out for her first trip into the dark. You pulled that knife like you know how to use it. And you looked me over pretty sharp before you opened your mouth. So, your choice. Follow me to the Portmaster's and back to the Angel, filling me in on how you got here and where you're going, as truthfully as you can. Or deal with the fallout yourself."

He started for the Portmaster's. He wouldn't let thugs tear apart a girl in an alley, but he wasn't about to be used either. If she wanted help, she'd work for it. Else she'd reap what she'd sown. Either way would be good for her long term.

Running up along side him, Sive concluded that she was going to have to come clean, well as clean as she ever got.

“OK, I'll tell you my story, only because I'm in a tight spot right now and could use some help.” He kept on walking so she kept on talking.

“About eight months ago I was on my way to...well I was on my way, when some pirates attacked my ship, I call her 'The Swift'... anyways I was able to out run them, but took some damage in the process. Luckily I spotted this poor excuse for a planet and with my expert piloting abilities was able to bring my ship in. I'm sure you saw it in the repair hangar when you passed by it. I've been trying to come up with the credits to get her up and running ever since I crashed...I mean landed here.” She paused long enough to catch her breath before continuing, “It's not easy trying to find employment on a planet like this. You wouldn't believe some of the jobs I've had to take on just to have a room and feed myself, never mind trying to save credits on the side.”

She looked at him to see if he was buying her story. She really did need to get off this planet, maybe stroking him would be the way to go. “The thing is, my ship took on a lot more damage then I first thought, I don't have enough credits to even begin repairs. Until I do, I am looking for a job. You wouldn't by any chance have an opening for a Jack of all trades on your ship would you?”

Sive put on her most charming smile now, waiting for his reaction.

Jason listened, pegging her as a born con artist in her first three sentences. Not the sort to bilk granny out of her savings, but still. Her story had a few holes in it even he could see.

"You're an expert pilot, then? Mind showing me your license? And what were you doing flying without a crew? No ship in these parts has fewer than three crew, and those are local miners harvesting asteroids. And any ship small enough to be crewed by one isn't likely to draw the kind of pirate that would shoot at the ship anyway. Catch it and enslave the persona aboard? Yes. Shoot at it? Nope. The former doesn't commit any crime unless the vic is caught, the latter can leave proof for the law to act on.

"I do believe you're in a tight spot, and I believe the difficulties you've found in getting work. But that's another point against your innocence you tried to claim a minute ago. Innocent girl on this rock would be snatched up right quick by one person or another. You're still walking around independent. So, tell me the truth once. Unvarnished. When we run your prints at the Portmaster's office is anything going to pop? If it does you're going with the law on this rock and I'm going elsewhere."

This last was delivered as he opened the door for her and ushered her inside the office of the Portmaster. He guided her to the front desk and greeted the clerk. "Jason DeBois, captain of the Tainted Angel . I just sold the cargo I'd told you about. Here's my bill-of-sale and the taxes owed on it." He handed over his cred-stick to be charged. "I'd also like to file notice for anyone leaving this planet in the direction of Lacuna that we have passenger slots open. And lastly I'd like to have this young lady's prints run. She's offered to join my crew and I'd like to know if she's legit."

Sive frowned.

Damn his hide, he's smarter then I gave him credit for.
Time for plan B. While scowling at the good captain, Sive scratched behind her ear, activating the chip embedded under her skin. She felt a general pulse run through her body. Smiling up at him she said, “Of course I'm legit, where is that print scanner?” The clerk pointed to it, with her eyebrow and chin raised Sive passed her fingers over the scanner, giving Jason a lopsided grin. Within seconds, the screen showed:

Name: Sive Skye
Race: Caucasian
Place of Birth: Earth
Year: 2486
Occupation: Medic
License: One man scout ships
Location: Unknown

Trying to keep the smirk off her face, Sive turned to Jason and uttered, “Well, does that satisfy your curiosity? I think I could be of use to you, since medical personnel are always in demand. As for why I was piloting my ship alone, I was transferring from a freighter to a transport headed for the Center.”

While she waited for his answer, her mind was going over anything she could have said to make him think she was anything else but what she appeared to be. If he ever found out who or what she really was, it could be all over for her. She had to stay hidden, there was just too much at stake.

"I wasn't curious about you at all, young lady. I'm looking out for me and mine. I'm not going to hire on a known thief, or murderer, or whatever knowingly. You missed the point of this exercise entirely." So saying, he walked out of the Portmaster's headed back for the Spaceport, wondering how desperate she really was.

Well, he'd find out in a minute, wouldn't he. If she stayed there or disappeared, not that desperate. If she followed him, however, she was indeed in a tight spot. He was willing to help out, assuming she wasn't wanted for anything that would endanger his ship and crew. No need to invite the scorpion into your house, after all. Still waiting to hear her voice, he continued to stride back to the ship at a fast clip.

Published 
Written by Kari
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments