Find your next favourite story now
Login

Recommended Reads

Stories and poems that have made it into our recommended reading section are hand picked by our staff. They have been identified as exceptional pieces of writing, which warrant separate recognition.

Stories that are part of a series, or novels that have made it into this outstanding series section, are nominated by our staff and awarded by a select panel. These stories have been deemed superior as complete works and have garnered special recognition.

You are almost certainly guaranteed a good read, if you've selected a story from these offerings!

Mardi Gris

Be careful what you wish for…especially during Mardi Gras!

“Look, I know you’re all hot-to-trot on this crazy idea of yours, but just put a lid on it, okay? We’ve got real work to do without chasing ghosts.” “But Sarge, people have been disappearing every year! And they’re always…” He turned on me. “Listen, Minne...

Where the forests nose into the lake, where the salmon spawn each year; where the camps were, that’s where you’ll find Blind Siku’s place. Siku is not here, nor are his bones. But stand on the shore, look through the mist to the hills on the other side, a...

Winter's Hope

Shy young man is uncertain of his choice of location for a first date

The river, smooth as a land-locked pool glows silver below us, and the snow crunches under our feet as we stroll towards the mid-point of the bridge. So many times, my searches for nature’s gifts have led me here. But never in winter. And never with a wom...

Score 18 18
13
389 Views 389
1.0k words 1.0k words

Peace

“Trouble is coming, Thorsten,” Ragnhild told me... "I can feel it."

It is peaceful now, the lake silent and cold. I am the last as I look back toward the now-distant shore. My wife and my children are safe and warm in our home. I will never see them again, not in this life. The hoards from the north have made sure of that...

Sketching Snowflakes

She was seeking something in the frigid flakes

Snow danced and swirled, driven across the lake by brisk winds. Jenn looked out her cabin’s window and sighed. She put more wood on the fire. The cabin was small enough that a wood stove was sufficient for heat. Sitting at a table by the window, Jenn leaf...

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

It may be fifty years since we got married, but it only seems like yesterday. Half a century has gone in the blink of an eye. Five decades of happiness and woes, triumphs and failures, laughter and tears. Memories come and go, but one day I will always re...

Long Game

I am returning to my animal nature.

My neighbors, I imagine, know me as that guy who stands in the middle of the street for no apparent reason. Is he okay? they probably wonder. Perhaps someone should call 911 Okay. It’s a little embarrassing, but I’ll take the hit Trees block our windows;...

Score 27 27
19
350 Views 350
364 words 364 words

I am running Running as fast as I can Heart pounding, lungs burning Scurrying through the undergrowth Frantically dodging and stepping I am frightened Oh, so frightened For they are close now So close Seeking me out But then Then there is a second A breat...

Score 19 19
16
353 Views 353
188 words 188 words

I think I get caught up in others To avoid my own reflection. When self-doubt and depression smothers I’m called for decompression. I think I get caught up while they swim in despair While tears fall steady and slow And not all moments should be shared Wh...

Score 14 14
13
355 Views 355
208 words 208 words

Unrequited

Young man hopes are inspired by sight of lovely lady

If I could write a poem, I’d celebrate her style How roses blush in envy, At the radiance of her smile. As I sit in awe, just watching Her form, aglow in silken white. Now she waits, in peace and loveliness For her chosen, loving knight If I could write a...

Score 27 27
18
342 Views 342
290 words 290 words