Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
A Ball of Yarn

"What something new feels like..."

3
3 Comments 3
91 Views 91
215 words 215 words

Your world, a neat compact sphere of wool, rolling through this meaningless void. Gathering more and more material, making it denser. Each tightly woven piece of fabric, interlacing and constricting the form. A ball of pure habitual behavior.

Years and decades of gravity, hardening the core. Making it almost impossible to penetrate. Then one day, someone comes along and begins to pull on a single strand of cotton. Thus begins the deconstruction, and thus begins the softening. A small tug, a loose strand to grab. Each day, the strand grows larger, slowly pulling layer upon layer. The density softening, and the ball becoming smaller. 

The core becoming more accessible. Years of this, the yarn is now splayed across the floor like a dog that just ate a pillow. Everything everywhere, weak and vulnerable, naked like a newborn. This is love. To strip the layers of your habitual life, and reform to a new ball of yarn. One that entangles with another, forming a new combined core, a stronger core.

For now, you can attack the void with the density of two spheres of wool.  One must always be willing to give up a strand of fabric, one must be willing to allow the core to be dismantled. All you need is a tug.

Published 
Written by dcdan2
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments