Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Beast Beauty

"Everything that moves in the dark, isn't always what it seems."

0
0 Comments 0
17 Views 17
1.3k words 1.3k words

Author's Notes

"Was a writing prompt from r/WritingPrompt; a slayer of vile and repugnent creatures, meets his match. I took it in a direction that I can't recall anybody else doing, since I tend to lean towards romance."

He gets word of a demonic creature in a nearby town. The people have tried to take it down as it ravages homes and stores. The stories tell that its screech can shatter windows, its talons crush bone and rip through wood, and the gust from its massive wings can knock down grown men, and send women and children tumbling to the ground. Skin black as coal, and eyes a menacing yellow glow.

A call to arms has been made, his cohorts grab weapons and armor, ready to slay the beast. The townsfolk manage to break one of its wings, yet swift it continues to be; leaping from buildings, throwing itself through doors seemingly without pain, or drop in endurance. They put all their efforts into cornering it, sealing off the town, archers and those with makeshift pole arms take base at any conceivable exit, using everything to their advantage to stun and confuse the beast.

They arrive taking the lead, keeping the townsfolk as assisting back up, while they do the heavy work. He lays out a plan his men argue and ignore on the basis of the injured and collateral damage. They rush to where they suspect it to be hiding, against his advocacy. With swords, maces, and hammers at the ready, they plan to siege and vanquish the vile creature. A few men rush in, one is tossed through a window. There is a scream, clanking, and scratching of metal.

Four run out with their armor with deep gashes, ears bleeding. Two try to shake it off, returning with three in wait, who angered by their quick defeat, rush in, yells of the rafters echo. He helps the one thrown from the window, the townsfolk cause a ruckus. He turns to see them and his men running off in pursuit and he chases after, getting a glimpse of it.

He follows it, mocking the path it took, trying to tackle the creature, catching it by surprise. It almost slips away, but his grip tightens on its legs. In the moonlight, he sees the shadow of its wings open, a strong take-off carries them over the wall, however, the flight is unsteady. He takes a look at what he is dealing with, face partially shielded by long hair, it seems to be focused on a landing spot near the lake; a small inlet at the mouth of the woods, a few struggling flaps and uneasy glide, they crash into a tree, landing in the water.

They both splash around, him grunting, it growling, he grabs and tosses further in the lake, and he sees the silhouette and glowing eyes in the trees come closer. He readies his sword at her approach, one that seems quick and limp. It leaps at him, knocking his sword away, his free hand catches, slamming the creature into the water, holding it down, ready to run his blade through.

A clean arm reaches for air, pulling itself up, dug in his armor, what he sees is unexpected; it takes a few steps back, eyeing his sword, wings open, one hung slightly. He tosses his sword to shore, pulling off his helm, staring curiously, wondering if the moon fools his eyes.

All the darkness washes from the tanned skin, left in the water, it too looks confused at his actions. He approaches slowly and cautiously, to get a better look, with no quick movements. It's… Her eyes are yellow, yes. He reaches slowly to move the hair from her face, it isn't anger but fear on her soft face.

Tattered clothes, cuts, and bruises litter her skin, he's impressed she can even lift the both of them even a foot off the ground with that broken wing, wings of a bat, just slightly darker than her skin, he pulls off a gauntlet to get a better feel. It indeed feels like the finest of leather. Her lips are full, her cheekbones high, a small pointed chin and her body has muscle to it, though she looks fed and healthy.

A thought crosses his mind. He speaks a word in his native tongue, and her eyes lock on his and widen. He rests a hand on her face, kissing her deeply, her arms and wings wrapped around him. When the kiss breaks, spoken in their tongue, an apology for him and his men, a promise to take care of her, a declaration of her beauty, love at first sight. She pulls him in for another kiss, hopeful.

They hear the voices of his men and villagers and he picks her up in his arms, carrying her to the woods on swear of his return.  She tugs at his armor, handing him the helm. Locating his sword, he returns to his men. They with the townsfolks demand an explanation, has the beast been slain? With a low face, he tells them it has not, lying about knowing what it is after having a good look, that it is not easily slain, he is gracious it spared his life. He refuses to accept payment as they need to rebuild, taking their leave.

The next night he enacts his plan; writing a letter instructing that his family needs him to return home in dire emergency, enacting his closest friend their lead until his return. Loading up what belongings and food he has, along with money, in his carriage, leaving the letter sealed with wax nailed to his door. They will never understand the beauty he sees in the young winged woman, though she may be ferocious and seemingly hells pawn, he cannot ignore his heart. To him, she's simply a fallen angel.

He takes his leave, stopping his horses from the village's sight, trudging through the woods, hoping she's still where he left her. The moon high, granting him light, he spots her, not before she herself is aware, letting a low growl, he tells her it is he; returned as promised. Once again carrying her through the woods, no words spoken by her as he again apologizes for the previous night, giving his name, asking for hers.

Reaching the carriage, he takes to mending her injuries. Finally, she speaks, asking how he could fathom loving something like her. He explains beauty can be found in the strangest places, once all that dirt is gone, he finds it within her. She then gives her name, explaining she is running from their homeland, expecting this a better place. Her father is some sort of creature either demon or dark fae, her mother is unsure. She was hungry and frightened, wanting nothing but to get away.

He mends her wing in a splint, drapes a blanket on her, and reveals that he has a home outside the towns. He refuses to let anyone hurt her again, pleading for her to be his wife. With tears in her eyes, she agrees.

They arrive at his land, and he helps her to the house, saying once she is healed, they will find a priest so she can soar through these skies without concern. Practically everything they could need will be there. She's amazed at the vast valley and trees, she wishes she could take flight at that moment, but it will be weeks. He made them a meal with what he brought, promising to teach her the language of the land, and the culture. She promises, that once healed, she will help him hunt and contribute, excited to be his wife. They both sit upon the porch watching the sunset, reminiscing of their homeland.

Published 
Written by JaxRhapsody
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors