Find your next favourite story now
Login

(Winners announced!) Summer ‘24 Hint Fiction writing challenge for lots of coins!!!

last reply
49 replies
1.1k views
5 watchers
150 likes
Shy Scribbler
3 likes

Love it, Kis! worship Saved by Miss Pixel!

Twins are all clappy hands (in perfect unison, of course). 😀😀

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Active Ink Slinger
2 likes

More! I want to see more! Give me more and I'm not going to say please! 😠

Rookie Scribe
4 likes

Hi, here's my effort.. 69 words, but who's counting...

In the summer heat, the buzzing flies told their own story when I opened the door.

I didn’t need to go any closer to look.

She was rocking forward and back, repeating over and over, “It wasn’t my fault. It wasn’t my fault.”

Her dress was torn and her cheek was bruised.

“They’re going to kill me for this.”

“Only if they catch you,” I reassured her. “Let’s go.”

Crazy old ape
2 likes

Up to a dozen by my count. This is ticking along nicely. As Kis said, "More." But being Canadian and therefore extraordinarily polite, I'll add a "please." 😇

(Canadian muggers say, "Hand me your wallet, please." They still beat the crap out of you if you refuse, but apologize afterwards.)

Attending a wedding reception as "cover" for a friend opens the door to some revelations and discoveries.

Plus One - "Not What It Looks Like" comp THIRD PLACE!!

Rookie Scribe
3 likes

For days after his neighbour disappeared, unfamiliar noises unsettled him. Shrill doorbells, whirring helicopters, the growl of a TV truck; uncommon silence otherwise. 

No body was found.

Summer returned to a comforting soundtrack: the tinkety-tonk of ice-cream vans, garage doors popping. Distant aeroplanes.

Yet when the heat broke and the rain came, he was troubled again: from nearby, the inconsistent buzz of a lawnmower, or something similar.

In this weather.

Shy Scribbler
3 likes

24 hours left in competition!

I count 13 fantabulous entries! Thank you all for playing along, and I hope you had fun. Only two in the money, but know I admire each of you! You are each a very talented writer!

❤️

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

And the comp is closed…

No more entries below this post.

Shy Scribbler
4 likes

(Drum Roll)

And the winner of the Summer ‘24 Hint Fiction comp is… TheShyThespian worship

Second place awarded to… JamesPBear :worship:

And a surprise… all other participants receive 100 coins for their excellent entries! :worship:

Thanks, everyone! ❤️

Mystica Flora
2 likes

Congratulations Jason and JamesPBear!

Congratulations everyone who participated. This was a fun challenge.

I am glad you and your sister enjoyed the entries, WriterGirl. Thank you for creating it. 😊❤️

Cora's Soliloquy

A soliloquy about true love in the midst of loneliness and perseverance.

Peace

Peace and the beauty of nature on a summer's night.

Active Ink Slinger
2 likes

Wow! I did not expect that at all 😊. The idea came to me as I was driving back from walking the dog. Had to rethink it a bit as I couldn't fit it all in (70 words really isn't very many lol). Chuffed with that - thank you for organising, WriterGirl!! I loved reading all the entries. First time I've won anything for a story. Clearly the key is keeping it short...

Crazy old ape
1 like

Congratulations to the Thespian and the Bear. Good stories both. And all were terrific reads. That was a wonderful idea. And now I have 100 coins of my own. Hmmmmm.

Attending a wedding reception as "cover" for a friend opens the door to some revelations and discoveries.

3 likes

Fabulously worthy winners. Such amazing creativity on this underrated site. Congratulations.

Really enjoyed reading the entries, and thank you WriterGirl for the amazing support you give to us all.

Rookie Scribe
3 likes

Well done to both the winners & thanks for running this competition.

Kaiju-adjacent
2 likes

Congrats Thespian and Bear! This was a really fun contest.

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Active Ink Slinger
1 like

Congratulations Jason and James and like a million hugs to you, Writergirl, and your sis. Miss P said she had fun, too.

Chasing Dragons
1 like

A big thanks to WriterGirl and her sister for this inspired competition and also for their generosity. The entries were all really good, and Jason and James are the very worthy winners.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Writing down under
1 like

Congrats to all, especially TheShyThespian and JamesPBear (I love Beckett so you can imagine how much I liked the Godot reference.) Thanks so much to WriterGirl for organizing this little competition and your generosity.

My latest story, Mardi Gras Competition: Sydney's Mardi Gras: We Shall Overcome

Some earlier stories:

Spooky Tales competition: Tales From the Crypt: Downunder Edition

Tam-challenge Micro: Under the Red Hoodie 

Maybe my best story: Finding Pride on Oxford Street

Administration
4 likes

Sorry, I'm a little slow with this, I've been on vacation.

Quote by WriterGirl
Thanks, everyone! ❤️

Thank you so much for doing this and for your generosity. 70 words is hard but it brought out some wonderful stories.

Congratulations to TheShyThespian and JamesPBear for taking the top spots.

~

I hope everyone keeps this energy we have another comp coming in a few weeks!

Crazy old ape
2 likes

Quote by Molly
we have another comp coming in a few weeks!

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

Woohoo! worship :worship: