Find your next favourite story now
Login

Science Fiction Stories

Science fiction stories depict imaginative, futuristic worlds populated by humans and non-human characters such as robots, aliens and mutant creatures.

The sci-fi genre often involves space travel and distant planets, with the only limit being the author's imagination.

If you love the sci-fi genre, submit your stories here or click on one of the links below to immerse yourself in another world.

Pscybotics Volume One: Episode 10: And Then Some

Doug finds himself in hot water after uncovering a secret of the Human Resistance

TWO HOURS LATER November 7th, 2040 - 12:18 Doug walked down the darkened corridor as stealthily as he could. He’d been exploring the compound all morning for all the secrets that they hadn’t told them.  If this was the future, then there had to be some cool gadgets lying around somewhere. On the south side of the compound, Doug came across a locked door. He used a hammer he had found to break the padlock.  He then sneaked...

Pscybotics Volume One: Episode 9: Meant for a Purpose

After the events of the previous episode, Ripley now faces the justice system of the Resistance

FOUR WEEKS LATER November 7th, 2040 – 08:57 “Don’t worry,” said Sam.  “I’m sure they’ll rule in your favour. “How can you be so sure?” said Ripley. “Because Eduardo’s in one piece,” said Selena.  “And according to Sommer, she saved his life.  That means you were right.  So you have nothing to be afraid of.” “It doesn’t change what she did,” Selena.  “She attacked you and injured people on her way out.  They’re going to lo...

Health Care TODAY While a number of changes have occurred, many of the issues of the early 21st century plague health care in 2101. Five things continue to drive health care in 2101. They are the attempts at governing particularly the Medical Insurance Act of 2046 and the Social Reorganization of 2082, robotics/transhumanism, genetic editing/designer DNA, AI and instanet’s impact on “drive through” health care, and pharma...

Prototype

In trying to build a clone robot, what does Charlie have to do to get it to work?

Archie stared at the equipment and apparatus before him. Something simply wasn’t connecting, literally, as what lay on the table was his prototype, his robot. With synthetic skin peeled back around the humanoid form before him, he was attempting to create a human-like automaton, but it was failing. He knew he had all the parts; there was nothing to salvage, buy, or bribe from anybody. The basement of the house was where h...

Robotics TODAY Robotics performs much of the daily maintenance of most things.  They are programmed into most life functions such as home repair and cleaning, transportation, personal items, food acquisition and preparation, etc.  One can choose to do those things or allow the programming to complete them.  Some have chosen industrial looking robotics to complete specialized tasks usually requiring more robotics while oth...

Education TODAY Most individuals and families enjoy a self directed education.  As far as academic requirements, the purpose of our 18th and 19th century education is nearly defunct.  Education programs are more designed to learn how to survive in the 22nd century with significant emphasis on socialization and appropriate means of personal interactions.  The need to prepare youth for the working world is no longer needed....

Global Warming TODAY The topic of global warming is still regular news, but the focus has changed somewhat. The LB, Lens Bank, has produced the effect of reducing warming, but the two issues surrounding its creation come up every few years. When a permanent member or two of the UN Security Council attempt to flex their muscle the LB sometimes comes up in the conversation. But more often it is the weather patterns and work...

Chapter One Finally arriving at my STOP (Short Term Overnight Place) I open my link to our weekly group cast. I joined late today, so had to join the conversation in mid stream. Steve: With both Bill and Sarah going to spend several weeks in Biloxi, Mississippi in September, I would like to stop there for a get together. Is anyone else willing to make a trip there? B^GJo#: I would like to go and September is a great time...

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

2101 - Nothing New Under the Sun

Brian in 2101 looks back on the history of the world and describes how we got to life in 2101.

  This is the beginnings of a multiple chapter story of what life could become in 2101.  Brian tells the story as he looks back on life from 2101.  Chapters are usually written to cover some aspect of life providing some details of what happened historically and what it means for today (the year 2101).  The chapters will be presented in random order as I have written them or writing them.  The stories are not meant to be...

Who Weeps for Cadmus? (Part 2 - final part)

Sometimes a walk in the park is not really a walk in the park.

Chapter 7: A Walk in the ParkThe flashing arrows turned left, as expected, and when Cadmus and Lonesome turned the corner and saw the door of the hyper-vator flashing exactly where he expected it to be, he didn’t know whether to be amused or irritated. “They must think we’re half-blind fools or clueless children with these flashing arrows and doors,” he thought. He tapped “0” on the keyboard and before he knew it the hype...

Who Weeps for Cadmus? (Part 1)

Sapiens to the left, Rationals to the right, and robots straight ahead...

Chapter 1: VoyageCadmus preferred flying this old fashioned solar sail ship, to one of the more modern hyper-drive ships, from his native moon’s orbit to Draco.763.3a, the only habitable moon orbiting Draco.763.3. He was well aware he could have made the trip in a couple of hours instead of the two hundred and seventy days, give or take, that this trip would take him, but he didn’t like flying faster than the speed of lig...

Something Happened

Charlie was beginning to feel pretty mellow when he saw the air in front of him waver.

Charlie Jones attended a party of friends and acquaintances in one of the trendy studio apartments near Washington Square on the lower east side of Manhattan. Charlie brought some beer, one of the girls brought wine. Someone brought some hash and someone else brought some acid to get high on the music. One of the guys rolled a mixture of Cherry Blend pipe tobacco and hashish into a clumsy fat cigarette held together by sp...

Little Boy Blue (Part 2)

The door closed and Lem was alone without his parents for the first time in his short life.

Chapter 6: Welcome WagonIt was strange, Evanor thought, that nobody came to visit to see whether she needed anything, not even her best friend Dorka. Not that she needed anything in particular, really. The delivery had not been so bad. There hadn’t been any complications where she was concerned. Lem seemed perfectly healthy. He took his fill of milk at her breasts, God bless him. He was quiet, she told herself. There was...

Anonymous

The Portal

What if there were more than one of you

Carin absentmindedly scratched Rubbish behind his ears while the tourist images of Israel scrolled slowly across her tablet screen. Her best friend asked her to join her on a trip, but Carin was unsure, Maddy had cancer, but Carin just got a new job and was broke and don’t know what to do. Suddenly Rubbish’s head snapped up, his ears upright like two antennas. He startled her, and she grabbed for the tablet that flew from...

Little Boy Blue (Part 1)

He’s always one step ahead of me. He’s also one step ahead of the neighbors too, thank God!

A short story excerpted from “The Rats and the Saps” Chapter 1: MotherI guess I’m older’n them hills on this god-forsaken planet. I don’t reckon I know how old those hills are. Come to think of it, I don’t rightly know how old I am neither. No matter. I usta turn a man’s eye. Now I ain’t much to look at. No matter. I’ve had a hard life. I don’t need no man’s pity and I ain’t ashamed of anything I ever done. Not even birth...