Find your next favourite story now
Login

Micro Fiction Stories

As with our Flash Fiction category, the aim of micro fiction is to tell a complete story within a limited number of words.

Where Flash Fiction generally ranges from 100 to 1000 words, Micro Fiction submissions should be under 100 words and can cover any of the fiction genres.

It's An Accident Waiting To Happen

Mom had her doubts - and she was proved right.

It was all my fault, I should never have said yes. Approaching his birthday he asked for a new car to replace his old battered one. I agreed but told him not to drive too fast, but as usual, he didn't listen. "Don't worry Mom - it'll be okay." I knew it would happen. Much too fast his car couldn't make the curve and flew through the air, smashing into the wall. I was so lucky he only just missed my crystal vase. That's it...

The Ordinary Girl

Who knows what gifts are hidden beneath an ordinary appearance?

To everyone in the room, she seemed like just a normal girl wearing Vans, blue jeans, and a red hoodie because that’s how she was defined; from home, through school to college. Yet deep within prowled a raging poet, a strutting rock star, a blazing meteor emanating the brilliance of a thousand dazzling suns. When, all alone, she braved that open mic night, one of the milling cool crowd casually asked, “Would you like a dr...

Dinner for One

Sometimes it pays to look a little deeper...

To everyone in the room, she seemed like just a normal girl wearing Vans, bluejeans, and a red hoodie. But looks can be deceptive; the clothes chosen deliberately to conjure up that very word—normal. The volunteers saw only what they expected to see; what they were meant to see. Don’t look here—nothing to worry about; nothing unusual. Only if you observed more carefully would you notice anything abnormal. If you were a li...

To everyone in the room, she seemed like just a normal girl wearing Vans, blue jeans, and a red hoodie. No one knew how her fingers still fumbled when applying eyeliner and lipstick. Or the struggles she had endured to finally match her body to her soul.  No one knew how they had taunted her when she changed her name. Called her "freak".  No one knew... As she stood inside the new school, she released a long-held sigh of...

Checkerboard Pattern

Shall we dance, Princess

To everyone in the room, she seemed like just a normal girl wearing Vans, blue jeans, and a red hoodie. The Vans were a checkerboard pattern and Jeff Spicoli would have approved.  I grinned because I loved that movie. That was the year I came of age. Life was tasty and was about to get very gnarly.  I held out my hand. "Shall we dance, Princess?" She smiled. I could smell the scent of eucalyptus wafting through the open w...

Robotic

This wasn't her.

To everyone in the room, she seemed like just a normal girl wearing Vans, bluejeans, and a red hoodie. Only she heard the whirring servos, the soft click of gears, the hum of electronics. Only she knew who she really was. “Come on,” said the boy with the gun. “Five high, six die. Earn it.” He handed her the gun. Her frail, all-too-human finger curled around the trigger. This wasn’t happening to her. This wasn’t her life....

No One Needs To Know

My attempt at a first line story prompt for Tams

To everyone in the room, she seemed just like a normal girl wearing Vans, blue jeans, and a red hoodie. She stood alongside her husband and the other helpers, preparing food parcels for the homeless and needy. "Is that who I think it is?" asked one volunteer. "Yes it is," replied her colleague. "They often donate their time to help us." "But they want it kept a secret, so don't go telling anyone." "It's hard for them to p...

The Verdict

"It is up to you what does or does not happen."

As I walked into the room it felt as if everyone there turned to watch me. My wife walked alongside me for support, but in her heart, she knew she could not help me. I alone was responsible for the path I had chosen last week, and now it was time to hear the result of my actions. I stood on the plinth, with my back to the hushed gathering, and awaited my fate.  Peering up at me the administrator slowly delivered her verdi...

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

The Monster In Her Life

In a cabin by the woods...

She flees his clutches, running for the trees as he spews threatening words through rancid, liquored breath. He doesn't follow her, fearing the rumored monster living within the forest. He appears - the golden-eyed wolfman. As he licks her wounds, she nuzzles against his warm fur.  Transforming, his lips take over, showing her gentleness with soft kisses. He cradles her damaged body, protecting her as she sleeps. Waking i...

Things That Need To Be Said

There comes a time!

We need to talk! I’ve chosen this moment to say something! I hope you’ll understand what I’m about to say? If we’re to continue living in harmony, it’s time you heard some home truths! Just lately your behaviour and mood swings have become unpredictable. You’re keeping me awake at night! To be honest, I feel I'm walking on egg-shells, waiting for things to turn ugly every time things don’t go your way! Enough is enough! I...

The Far Away Man

Reflections, the lost ones, the wounded trying to find their path.

You were always there, around a distant corner, the far-away man, in the back of my mind. As my sister lay withering away in a hospital bed, it was you, with those ice-blue eyes, always smiling, that wit, your spark. I could see all of you, still. You were the sunlight and the rain, the thunder and the fire. You were everything rolled into one, and I moved about with those vibrations, that beautiful noise. My feet moved t...

Tyres spent after forty miles of abuse; the racecar is signalled to pit for replacements. Nervous mechanics wait as the driver drives in at 60mph before swerving into his alloted slot, expertly sliding to a halt in front of his crew. Team chiefs and analysts watch anxiously from the pit wall as the mechanics leap into action. Pneumatic wrenches whir as worn wheels and tyres are removed, and replacements slotted into place...

John Is That You?

I heard something ... new ... today!

The bathroom at my office is this narrow affair.  Along one wall are sinks, then four urinals, and then six toilet stalls.  The other wall was paper towels, trash containers, and dryers.  The arrangement matters for this story. One day I was in the second stall when suddenly the earth shook.  No, not an earthquake, but someone let loose a gaseous emission that shook the stall walls.  It was absolutely phenomenal! From the...

Voldar

Before the statue of the warrior, she weeps

Voldar knelt before the statue of the great warrior and wept. Around her were the ruins of the city she had once called home. Foes had swept over it weeks before. “How could you let this happen?” Voldar cried, “You swore to protect them.” But the statue remained silent stone. “My family, my friends, my lovers. They were all here. Now they are nothing.” Voldar rose and drew her blade. “There is nothing more for me here. No...

The Target

The assassin's target was more than he bargained for

The killer looks down the scope at his target. He neither knows nor cares why The Boss wants this woman dead. That is not the killer's problem. The woman is undressing. Her dress slips to the floor, then her underwear. The killer watches with delight. Then she pulls off her hair and turns to the window. Her eyes are solid black. Her mouth is studded with pointed teeth. “Fuck,” the killer gasps. He squeezes the trigger. Th...