Find your next favourite story now
Login

Memoirs Stories

Submissions to this category are generally told in the first person and cover personal reflection, autobiographies and memories of the past.

Rather than focusing on factual accounts, memoirs are more a recollection of moments in time that were either vivid or unique to the author.

Coal-Miner

what it felt like, going to and descending into the mine

Coal-Miner Thirty year old powerloader Brian, stood amidst the crowd of jabbering miners as they waited to descend in the cage. His aching slightly overweight frame already fatigued with the stress of just getting there. He put his holdall down at his fee...

Dear Doddsy

A letter to a friend

Dear Doddsy How you doing pal? Sorry to hear of your accident. Jan told me you were bored stupid and didn't have much to read, (to tell you the truth mate, I didn't know you could read). There being no telly till the kids programmes in the afternoons (bet...

Tears Don't Fall

Inner grief of losing a lover...

June 17, 2012We buried you today. The rain fell because the sky would miss your smiling face. You lay in the corner of the cemetery, your funeral very short and to the point. We couldn't afford a proper service or a fancy urn. We took a coffee can and pla...

I Swear

This happened to me when I was a child

I SwearEngland. South Shields, 1967. I leaned against our back gate, acting the big man in front of the bloke next door. Mouthing off to him and swearing even though he'd already complained a couple of times to Ma about my bucket-mouth. Thinking I was so...

I don’t remember your face or your smile. I don’t remember the warmth of your skin or the touch of your kiss. I don’t remember you at all. I've heard the stories my brothers and dad tell about you, stories about a beautiful woman with long blonde hair and...

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Sand in the Engine

An experience I had while I served with His Majesty King George the Second's forces in Iraq.

I didn't go on the road. In the morning, I stayed back and did chores. I burned manure, did dishes, got fuel for the generator, dumped the used shower water out on the driveway and filled the shower tanks. At night, I pulled extra shifts of guard duty, an...

Tito

A story about my dog, and about the shooting on Ft. Hood.

I had a nice office job on post, Fort Hood, Texas. I lived right outside the air field gate. I had a blue healer named Tito, and I enjoyed taking him for walks. His leash hung from the door handle, and he would push it into the door so the the snap clicke...

November 22, 1963

One person's experience of President Kennedy's funeral

I finished my noon chow, and was walking back across the drill field towards the school, and smoking a cigarette, when Doug Holmes came running across the field toward me. “Hey man, they just shot the president!” “You’re shitting me, right?” “No! Seriousl...

Easter, 1949

another musical memory

The more I try to recall whether I was three or four, the more convinced I become that I must have been four, because I was wearing a new, blue seersucker suit. I remember that suit distinctly, and recall wearing it to Sunday School at Catonsville Presbyt...

The first time I saw Spotty, there were half a dozen kids on her back, and she was walking slowly around in circles. My friend Chris was crying, actually not crying but oozing. He was allergic to horses. He loved to ride, but it turned his face into a puf...