Find your next favourite story now
Login

Fantasy Stories

Our fantasy stories are for those who enjoy escaping to a world filled with magic, wizards, dragons and sorcery.

Stories in this genre have an underlying theme of good versus evil and may be based on fairy tales, myths or legends.

Characters, places and names are often pulled from the author’s vivid imagination and descriptions are usually highly detailed.

Darklight

Can there be light without the darkness?

This is an excerpt from my story DarkLight. All comments and opinions are welcome. Oknorube slowed down his travel when had reached a far enough distance away from earth. He looked at the planet and again felt himself drawn to the light that seemed to come from within and the darkness that seemed to bathe certain parts of the planet. Oknorube thought of what Omoro had told him. He had said that they never saw their Gods;...

I Shot Santa Claus in Self-Defense!

Mr. Potato Head, an Amish Santa, and a strange Mariachi all point to an inevitable conclusion.

“Should I start just before I shot Mr. Potato Head in the face?” I asked. “No,” Callahan replied. “Pick it up earlier than that.” “When I discovered that Santa Claus was Amish?” I asked. “Before that,” Callahan replied. And then he looked at me and made his pitch. “You know,” he said, “we’ve already wasted three days on this. Internal Affairs has better things to do than spend time on your pranks. Do us all a favor. Admit...

Life as a spoon. It was cold, and wet, no light anywhere, and I with my comrades would fight to stay alive!! Earlier that day we had been sent out to the front lines. We had fought against the dirtiest of things, and in doing so we ourselves were very unclean. This was a religious effort, everyday we would be sent out from our holding barracks and be sent out on duty leaving some behind awaiting their next mission. My mis...

31st of April We arrived at Orleans two days ago. Usually when we have marched towards a battle I have wondered which of my comrades I wouldn’t see again, or if they would see me again. I would have wondered how my family are doing, if my little brother has learned how to bring in the sheep without our father getting furious, or if they are even still alive. But not two days ago. Two days ago we marched and we were filled...

Diary of a Soldier part I

All it takes is one...

15th of January, the year of our Lord 1429 I have seen much during my 10 years in the French army, but most of all I have seen death. My comrades are getting fewer and fewer as they fall to the British blades and bows. It is sad to realise that my oldest companion in this war is Death himself. I wish it was God, but like so many others I feel he has left us. I cannot remember the last time we had a major victory over them...

three wishes

Its difficult to use three wishes properly.

The Three wishes Desire thrashed around in her sleep unaccustomed to having the whole double bed to herself. She had fitful dreams about her husband who was helping a friend with his guitar stand in a London festival. In her half conscious state she mourned for the opportunities she should have been bold enough to take on. Why do I always think I have to wait until the time was right, I missed out on my dreams. Shouldn’t...

The Booker Prize

Any British author could win The Booker Prize... in theory...

I wouldn't be sitting here tonight if it wasn't for my sister, all I did was to write down my thoughts and fond childhood memories of her. Those words of love came easily, and the moment they appeared on the page I knew I'd found my true voice.I could speak clearly at last, so I told the whole world about my sister and quite a few people heard me and listened. If they like her, I thought, then they're sure to like Chloe a...

The Case of the Curious Ghost

From the files of Hawke and Johnson, C.N.M. (first 10 installments of a serial)

Kryss is a city with many unusual trades. But the most unusual of them all is plied at the end of a tired, worn street in a tiny house that is hemmed in between two larger houses that lean precariously toward it. The sign hanging over the door is small and solemn, saying simply “Hawke and Johnson, C.N.M.” without even a picture to proclaim the trade. In a city filled with flamboyant merchants of every stripe, and business...

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Solitude

A woman finds herself taken forward in time to a world with no people. How is she going to cope?

SOLITUDE Claire lay in an isolation tank in her local spa and started to panic. What made me decide to do this? she thought.  She hated being on her own even in her own home when her husband was at work and her children at school. It was a nightmare situation for her. She needed loud music to keep her company whilst she kept herself busy with a cooking or a painting project, in order to smother the fear of being abandoned...

Was this a dream or a reality? It certainly looked unreal. It looked beyond my fancy. I was oblivious to how I reached here. I looked at my admirer, his deep eyes gazing in to me, boring in to my soul. Weird sensation gripped me and blood flow to my cheeks increased. Before I knew it, I was blushing. He smiled after seeing what he had achieved. I looked down thinking who was this ridiculously handsome man, wondering how d...

When the Silence is Sound Enough

Taking a breather to let out the strangeness in my head. Welcome to my world.

I A layer of dust lay thick in a faintly glowing square. Her finger moved languidly over its surface leaving behind a scar of nebulous light in its wake, releasing a lusterless beacon into the cell-like room. The pale beam stabbed the floor, causing her to flinch at the sudden intrusion of daylight that brought temptation as well as a sense of disquiet.Already she could feel the lure and the pull of the world outside as i...

Fear and Loathing in Oz - Chapter II

Things contintue to get weird

I must have passed out again. Either that, or what followed was too horrible to remember, which is my guess, seeing as my last memory is of a trio of the little fucks chasing after me waving cat fetuses impaled on tent stakes and turning the landscape into a bloody Jackson Pollack painting. I was sure that the little bastards had been smoking viagra laced crack and were going to violate me and then cut me open like a scie...

A Fair Exchange

A light hearted romp involving a rather naive young paladin.

Chastity gently pulled back on the reins, halting Stormcloud’s progress, a bewildered look upon her face. She could have sworn she’d passed through this meadow earlier. Unrolling her map, she studied it carefully, making note of the location of the river that passed through the Faerie Kingdom. According to Glint & Barnes, there should have been a bridge here and yet, obviously there was none. The pathway simply led to the...

Fear and Loathing in Oz - Chapter I

An hommage to Hunter S Thompson and L. Frank Baum.

 Beside us raced the hurricane. 140 mph of sheer twisted speed, barely able to keep up with the rented Corvette we’d picked up in Toledo, let alone my amphetamine fueled brain. Under the dashboard was enough acid and ecstasy to turn an entire nation of jihad spouting Islamists into black-eyed love monkeys. Wrapped up in tinfoil and enough duct tape to open our own OSH to keep those drug sniffing bastard Nazis commonly kno...