Find your next favourite story now
Login

For the more "Mature" crowd...a publisher that caters to boomers...

last reply
14 replies
6.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rest in Peace
0 likes
For the more "mature" crowd...and don't everyone look at me...here is a small publisher that caters to baby boomer types...hence the name Silver Boomer Books...

They have a submission call page, and from what I can see generally have a few short story compilations in the works. These old pensioners are a bit "frugal" I'll have to say...if they publish your story they'll throw you ten bucks and a copy of the book...but, it just might be your chance to get in print...

http://silverboomerbooks.com/
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Just a note, I sent in my poem "We Shall Never Forget" to their Patriotic Compilation, and even though it was a few days past the deadline, they sent me a note today that they will consider it and let me know by June...

So, if you come across a submission call that is past the deadline...just attach a note with some legitimate sounding excuse like temporary insanity, or you were abducted by aliens, or your dog ate your story...and you never know...it might actually work, and they might still consider your submission...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Good luck with your submission, Alan. I hope you'll keep us posted on whether your poem's accepted.

I suppose publishers who cater to older folk have to make allowances for forgetfulness.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by Lisa

I suppose publishers who cater to older folk have to make allowances for forgetfulness.

If you can read this I'll enjoy your company.
Rest in Peace
0 likes
I'll just pass through and pretend I didn't see anything...

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by Lisa
Good luck with your submission, Alan. I hope you'll keep us posted on whether your poem's accepted.

Nope...ain't happening, I found out today...

Not a lot of markets for previously published poems either, or previously published anything for that matter...though it wouldn't surprise me if there were more submission calls soon for things of a "patriotic" nature based on recent events...

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by Lisa

It's interesting Lisa, just a note here...my poem was literally read around the world this past weekend, but Silver Boomer wouldn't pay five bucks for it a few months back...

It's worth mentioning because I get the impression sometimes that a lot of writers lack enough confidence in their writing to submit to stuff like this, or if they do get rejected they somehow take it personally...like their writing isn't good enough...

I tell people over and over that stuff like this is just one person's opinion, which it is, it's often based on factors other than the quality of the writing whether or not something gets accepted...and I think this is a good example...

Millions of people around the world could love something...but, someone else doesn't think it's worth five bucks...this is a clear example as to why you should not take rejection notices personally...

But, that's a subject for a whole other thread...

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Bump...

Becky Haigler
2:58 PM (2 hours ago)

to Silver, bcc: me
Please pardon the duplication of information if you have already learned of the new Silver Boomer Books anthology project, On Our Own -- widowhood for smarties. Full submission guidelines are at http://silverboomerbooks.com/sbb/wp/for-writers/ Remember, you are a writer so you can tell other people's stories as well as your own! So far, we have received much more poetry than prose for this collection, so, if you're still thinking about what to submit, see if you can craft a short essay instead of a poem. Notice, too, the working title hints at surviving widowhood with hope and flair. We're looking for more than than just sentimental remembrances of love lost.

If you wish to be deleted from this mailing list, please let us know. Feel free to share this call with your writing groups and on your blogs but urge your contacts to follow submission guidelines closely.

Thanks!

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Bump...

Note their listings under "Speculative Submissions"...

"Life Spinning Moments
Sometimes a comment or an event pivots a life into a new and startling direction. What happened, and where did the spinning end?"

Sort of fits the theme of the contest here on this fine site...and Silver Boomer does accept previously published stories...just saying...

For Writers - Silver Boomer Books
http://silverboomerbooks.com/sbb/wp/for-writers/

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Becky Haigler
5:18 PM (1 hour ago)

Dear Writer, you are receiving this email because you requested to be notified when Silver Boomer Books has a call for submissions. If you wish to be deleted from that list, please let us know.
Some of you are already aware of our latest anthology project and have sent material to be considered for Times to Remember, a pocketful of holidays. Please review our guidelines for submissions by scrolling down to "How We Want It" at http://silverboomerbooks.com/sbb/wp/for-writers/ (And please note that the widowhood anthology is now closed to submissions.)
When the phrase "the holidays" is mentioned most of us quickly think of the end of the year and the period of Thanksgiving through Christmas. That time of year has produced many wonderful stories and poems from many talented pens. If you have a piece for that season, you may send it but we are hoping to include events from throughout the year in this project. Your chances of being selected will be higher with a well written essay or poem about Flag Day, or Arbor Day or the Watermelon Festival, etc. Surprise us.

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by Rumple_deWriter
Couldn't find anything about content restrictions so I left in the 'N' word, nipple. I'll let y'all know what happens.

Just letting you know, they're a very conservative crew of seniors over there...and don't be disappointed if they reject your submission...I sent them my 9/11 poem, which is my most famous work, for an anthology of patriotic stories and poems...and they rejected it...they didn't think it was worth five bucks...so...good luck...

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by Rumple_deWriter
Couldn't find anything about content restrictions so I left in the 'N' word, nipple. I'll let y'all know what happens.

Just letting you know, they're a very conservative crew of seniors over there...and don't be disappointed if they reject your submission...I sent them my 9/11 poem, which is my most famous work, for an anthology of patriotic stories and poems...and they rejected it...they didn't think it was worth five bucks...so...good luck...

Rest in Peace
0 likes
new call for work from Silver Boomer Books/Eagle Wings Press
Inbox
x

Becky Haigler
11:32 AM (2 hours ago)

You are receiving this email because you requested to be notified of new calls for work from Silver Boomer Books. If you wish to be removed from the list please reply to this message with that request.

Some of you have already noticed on our websites the current call, available in full here:

Journeys Toward Recovery
http://eaglewingspress.com/ewp/wp/for-writers/journeys-toward-recovery/

This anthology will be in the same format as our previous Silver Boomer Books anthologies but will bear the imprint of our inspirational/recovery line, Eagle Wings Press. Please note the emphasis on recovery. We are not so much interested in stories of people who are still 'at the bottom' but rather those who are on the journey up.

Feel free to share the call with your writing groups and on your blogs and other social media.