last reply
1.4k replies
133k views
4 watchers
108 likes
Mystica Flora
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Since I know Cora likes Metric, here's one of the songs they sang on Parliament Hill in the annual Canada Day concert.

I completely missed that. Glad It caught my eye today. Thank you for the thoughtful post.

I have a handful of favorite songs from Metric. I think I am prone to listening to some songs over others depending on my mood.

Sick Muse - Metric

Cora's Soliloquy

A soliloquy about true love in the midst of loneliness and perseverance.

Peace

Peace and the beauty of nature on a summer's night.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Bands of His Majesty's Royal Marines - A Brubeck Portrait.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Mystica Flora
0 likes

Keep Breathing - Ingrid Michaelson

Cora's Soliloquy

Peace

Crazy old ape
0 likes

New live video from Tigran Hamasyan and his current ensemble.

Attending a wedding reception as "cover" for a friend opens the door to some revelations and discoveries.

Plus One - "Not What It Looks Like" comp THIRD PLACE!!

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Gojira is not a metal band I have paid much attention to but with them becoming the first metal band to play an Olympics last night, they are now on my radar. Metal and rock fans seem uniformly pleased with their performance and even some mainstream reviews are citing it as a highlight.

Here's an audio of the performance. It's a metal version of a song that goes back to the French revolution.

And one of their own songs, from the 2005 album From Mars To Sirius, which seems to be widely regarded as their best work.

Attending a wedding reception as "cover" for a friend opens the door to some revelations and discoveries.

Mystica Flora
0 likes

Amazon Love - Johnny Flynn feat. Lillie Flynn (his sister). A repeated favorite of mine. I love the way he plays guitar.

Cora's Soliloquy

Peace

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

The original (Fleetwood Mac) recording of Black Magic Woman was great, but... along came Carlos Santana! His version is guitar-heavy and a superb rendition. However, it didn't end there. On the Moonflower album from 1977, Black Magic Woman flows into Gypsy Queen, and what a pairing that was! Listen for yourself. it's awesome!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Mystica Flora
0 likes

"The Jacket" Soundtrack Crazy D Remix

Cora's Soliloquy

Peace

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Continuing my exploration of pianist-composer Tigran Hamasyan. This album-length piece was composed by Hamasyan and performed by his ensemble with the Yerevan State Chamber Choir in memory of the Armenian genocide. It's an incredble album, bringing his American jazz background together with his Armenian cultural background in a beautful way.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

And from the sublime to the loud and heavy, here's a new single from Japanese all-female power metal act Lovebites.

Mystica Flora
0 likes

Fly - Nick Drake

Cora's Soliloquy

Peace

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Anyone else here remember this oldie but goodie? From the 2024 edition of Wacken Open Air, a premier festival for rock and metal, here's The Sweet with their one and only (at least on my side of the planet) hit.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

And from Wacken's opening day, here's one of my current faves, Mexican power trio/sister act The Warning. The Villareal sisters are going great guns this year between a new album and a world tour. Dany (guitar, vocals), Pau (drums, vocals) and Ale (bass and backing vocals) are all on fire here.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

St. Vincent is one of those artists who manages to be good a so many things. Singer, songwriter, guitarist and now producer of her latest album, All Born Screaming. This song is from All Born Screaming.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Oo, another fine female singer I follow dropped a new single. Swiss singer Melissa Bonny has been in four bands so far in her career (five if you count a local cover band where she got started). She also does guest appearances with other bands on a fairly regular basis. This is, however, one of her less common solo releases and leans more into a pop sound vs. the metal that is her usual. Nice song, though, and I wonder if this means we'll be hearing more solo work from Melissa.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Anyone else here remember this oldie but goodie? From the 2024 edition of Wacken Open Air, a premier festival for rock and metal, here's The Sweet with their one and only (at least on my side of the planet) hit.

The 2024 lineup is a far cry from the original four-piece band of the seventies when they had several hits in the UK.

Three of those original four passed away at a fairly young age. Here is their first UK No.1 hit, Blockbuster.

I wonder how they would have gone down at Wacken if they were still like that!

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Globalization has even affected music. Here we have Mexican power trio The Warning teaming with Japanese rockers Band-Maid. Damn, this track rocks. The bands have been teasing it for what feels like weeks but the hype was justified.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Something with a bit of a personal connection. Norwegian folk ensemble Gate recorded a new video in Akershus Castle in Oslo where I just happen to have been when I was in Oslo after my cruise in June. Beautiful old castle well worth the visit. And the room where this was shot is especially gorgeous.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

New Nightwish song, the second single from the upcoming album Yesterwynde, yesterday but so far no video to go with it and the audio seems to have vanished from YouTube as well now. Maybe the official video is coming soon? Anyhow, it is a very different song for them, even if elements of band songwriter Tuomas Holopainen's usual playbook are definitely there. Arguably, not even metal, with strong 80s-esque synth riffs and some other atypical elements. I have listened multiple times on Spotify and definitely like the piece, but it's seeming disappearance from YouTube (not for the first time) has me wondering what's up. I will add the video if/when it comes. Meanwhile, I will add a link to the track on Spotify for those who can hear it there.

https://open.spotify.com/track/20w340h37XvpPjiO591XCg?si=-aaIbGJiRAKmDBLXWsBt-Q

Administration
0 likes

Down To This - Soul Coughing

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla
so far no video to go with it and the audio seems to have vanished from YouTube as well now

Video is now announced for August 13 (this coming Tuesday) and the audio is back on YouTube.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Video is now announced for August 13 (this coming Tuesday) and the audio is back on YouTube.

And now the official video. Very well made and tied to the theme of the song. Lead singer Floor Jansen cracked a joke about needing some lotion for her dry skin.😋