Find your next favourite story now
Login

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House: If you're reading this it just might mean I'm back, sorta. If you're not reading this, well, congratulations.

last reply
9.8k replies
429k views
17 watchers
1.0k likes
White Rose

Good morning, everyone.

It has been kind of quiet here lately. Inspirations does tend to have those moments, though. It is often very lively during times of competitions. Hopefully more people join in conversation or just say, "hey."
In other news, I woke up this morning and there was heavy fog outside; still there. Kind of eerie. I now have the dogs resting against me, as usual.

Quote by verbal

Sending off a memoir today that will be big if they take it. I’ve gotten two complimentary rejection slips from them thus far. We will see if the third time is a charm.

I am also writing about—not making this us—itinerant preachers in the 1930s preaching in rural Oklahoma. One of my great-uncles is among them. It’s ambitious, we will see if I can pull it off.

I did not send off my memoir yesterday. My writing process is almost always diligent. If it is for SS I am meticulous about the story cover and design. As a writer, I stress too much and am too hard on myself. Something I am working on. Hopefully today I will submit my memoir.

verbal, that is rough to hear you received two rejections. Hopefully your third try will be a success. The theme you are writing about seems interesting and unique. Also has an element of truth as your great-uncle was an itinerant preacher.

I am off to writing. I hope everyone has a lovely day. ❤️🌹

Coffee is La Colombe Cold Brew and Cafe Du Monde French Roast. Teas are looseleaf White Peach and White Peony.

“Swing, batter, batter, swing!”

Paradise

Light of a new day; a passing rain shower; beauty of an Australian rainforest.

The Veil Between Good and Evil

"Beyond The Veil" Competition Top 10: Good and evil exist beyond the veil.

Kaiju-adjacent

Yay! More baseball cookies!

I sold the memoir story! And to think I was ready to quit writing two weeks ago. It took me three rejections before they finally accepted it. I really worked hard to get this right. And I feel good that perseverance paid off.

Mets won last night! A week and a half to go in the regular season.

Coffee and Mets cookies please!

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Story Moderator

Jeff that is so exciting that you sold the memoir story. Congratulations!

Just a quick check-in and update. My Mom is still in hospice. The worst thing is watching her lose her cognition, memory, and perception because she has two brain tumors. My father's dementia doesn't let him comprehend things most of the time, but he has realized how sick she is at times; other times, he thinks she is getting better; at others, he believes she has already died. He is a 24-hour-a-day job. We can't keep caregivers because of some of his behavior, so it is my and my brother's responsibility for now. I stay with my dad during the week, and my brother has weekends. There is a waitlist for the memory care unit at their retirement community. He got away from me yesterday for an hour before security found him. I need to be two people at a time. I end up resenting everyone because I can only take him for an hour at a time to visit my mom. He agitates her and the staff. But now she is on so much morphine and sedatives she doesn't realize who is there, and she doesn't really have any concept of time. It seems so cruel to have both of them at a time having this happen. The paperwork and legal issues to sort out have also been a mountain to climb.

I'm sorry for complaining. I miss my house and my life. Eventually, I'll get back to both, but the price will be losing my parents.

I hope everyone is doing well. Thanks for listening, take care.

White Rose

Good evening, everyone.

gillian, It is so good to hear from you. You have been in my thoughts often. Thank you for giving us an update of what is happening in your life. You are not complaining. What you have been and are going through is awful. You are very strong and loving. I wish I had words that could put you at ease. Please know you are very often in my thoughts, as well as the well being of your parents. You are a beautiful person.

Quote by verbal

I sold the memoir story! And to think I was ready to quit writing two weeks ago. It took me three rejections before they finally accepted it. I really worked hard to get this right. And I feel good that perseverance paid off.

How wonderful, verbal! I am very happy for you. Rejection is rough but I think almost every writer experiences it. I remember my first rejection to a competition in college; I cried horribly. But here I am and you are, still writing. What a beautiful thing. Hard work and perseverance will get you far in life.

"The Mets are on fire!"

Paradise

Crazy old ape

Ugh. That is such a worst case scenario, Gil. Vibes.

Congrats to verbs on the sale! Nice to know someone on here is living the dream (i.e. actually selling their work).

Yeah, I'm around. Just busy with life so not posting much. Have stories on the go and even those aren't making much progress right now. Legal stuff today (revised will) and doctor stuff tomorrow (routine test and grumbling about my bum knee). Somewhere in there, I have to work, too, though today was mostly meetings. Had a 2 hours meeting turn to three, delaying my lunch so that I basically just had enough time to eat before my next meeting and another person who was in both was still eating in the second one.

On the beauty that lies beneath - Beyond the Veil comp entry!

Crazy old ape

It is Thursday! How are folks doing this fine morning?

Coffee is Deathwish Dark Roast. Teas are Organic Darjeeling and Cream of Earl Grey. Pitchers are washed and there's fresh iced tea and lemonade mixed up.

Have a good one!

White Rose

Good morning, everyone.

Mendalla, nice seeing posts from you. I thought life was keeping you busy. It is rare for you to not post here. Seems like life is still keeping you busy. I hope your doctor's appointment, revising of your will, and work all go smoothly.

I got good news from my friend who I am collaborating a poem with yesterday. She thinks our poem looks good. I polished it up a bit and will look for a cover photo today. Hopefully I will have everything ready so I can submit it. As every morning, I never know what the day ahead of me holds. I do hope after submitting the poem I will have time to start my memoir. I do not think it should take long to write and I think all the details are put together nicely in my head.

I hope everyone has a lovely day. ❤️🌹

"Way to go, Mets!"

Paradise

Kaiju-adjacent

Gil, my heart goes out to you. I am sure it must be exhausting, as well as emotionally draining. You are providing a blessed service, though it probably doesn’t feel to blessed now. Hugs.

Didn’t sleep well last night, so I am laying low today. I think I am going to cancel physical therapy and just make it a nice relaxing day.

Mets won again! Huge series starts tonight. I wish Sara was around, the Mets and Braves are neck and neck.

Oh ell. Nice to see you in here, Cora and Apeman.

Coffee and a cookie please.

White Rose

Good morning, everyone.

I had a fantastic night with my family last night. We stayed up past midnight with our dogs, though they were sleeping. I usually wake at 5:40am but slept in half an hour. I used to be a night owl. About seven years ago I started waking at 4:00am, but now a little later. I am most productive in the early hours to mid-day.

Because I just had a poem published with Dreamweaver, I think I may hold off on my memoir. I do not like submitting pieces close together time wise. Maybe I will write and save it.

Coffee is French Roast; Teas are White Peach and White Peony.

Paradise

Kaiju-adjacent

Look forward to reading your poem, and especially stoked to see your memoir, Cora!

Slept well! Yay! Mets won! Yay! Today, same old thang. One of our bannisters broke so I will have to mess around repairing that today, maybe the weekend.

My daughter won an essay contest, but they are late announcing the winners and it is p***ing me off. It’s disrespectful to the most important part of the chain: the writer. Ah well. She’ll have to get used to it.

Thanks for the Mets cookies! A coffee too!

Crazy old ape

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooood afternoon!

Ape is here. Week is over. Weather is nice if getting a bit too warm.

Been a health week. Doctor yesterday, blood work today (hopefully have results Monday), x-ray of my bum left knee next week. And, for the most part, I'm healthy (save for the aforementioned bum left knee).

White peach sounds good.

White Rose

Good afternoon, everyone.

I am having a relaxing Saturday with my family and dogs. Just dropped by to say, "hey." Tonight should be fun and relaxing. We ate a few apples this past week which we picked at the apple orchard last Sunday. Today, six apple crisps were made. We are going to freeze them for future holidays or special weekends, except the one for this weekend. All apples that were once overflowing a 16 lbs. bag are now gone. 😊🍎

Sara may not physically be posting here but she is here in spirit. I just checked Mets games and saw they are playing the Braves Tuesday.

Coffee is French Roast; tea is White Peach.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekends thus far. ❤️🌹

"The Mets are on fire!"

Paradise

Crazy old ape

Good morning! Sunday is here and Fall is now officially open for business. Except here, we seem to be getting a last gasp of summer. High 20s Celsius and a bit muggy.

Coffee is Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. Teas are Scottish Breakfast and Buddha's Blend. Washed the pitchers and made fresh lemonade and iced team. Oh, and ape is slaving over a hot frying pan so there's some special goodies.

White Rose

Good morning, everyone.

Autumn is here! Not sure what the day holds, but I hope for it to be beautiful.

Coffee is French Roast; tea is White Peach.

Autumn theme

Paradise

Crazy old ape

Hey, good morning, Cora. White Peach sounds great.

I might have an idea for a Halloween story. Different from last year's for sure. Witch-y stuff. Just need to put it down in bits and bytes to see if I like it as much written as I do in my head.

Showers overnight but seems to be brightening up as the day moves on. Been rather warm for late September but this is supposed to be the end of that, more seasonal mid-low twenties celsius going forward.

Kaiju-adjacent

Slept well! Mets won 3 of 4 from the Phillies! It’s a sunny day!

It rained all weekend, and was actually COLD out yesterday. We stayed inside. I will be able to take a walk today.

Lately we’ve been seeing movies on Friday afternoon, when NO ONE is there. Saw Alien Romulus. It was good, not great. I liked it better than Talia did.

Thanks for the set up Ape. Coffee and a cookie please.

Morning all! A gloomy day here, but we got some much-needed rain.

Lots of stuff to do, and not much time to write, alas.

One of the things I'm doing is trying to promote the Bear and Girl book. I'll be offering free downloads of the Kindle edition to those who want one, and would appreciate people doing so and then posting a review on Amazon.

Meanwhile, I'm surprised at how much detail is involved in promoting a book these days. I've published seven books before, six of them through publishers. I did author tours for those, but that's pretty much gone by the board these days. Instead, there's social media – which I don't particularly enjoy or approve of.

And how's everyone doing?

Addicted to words, read and written.

Latest in the Bear & Girl story arc: Girl, Not Frog

Latest Competition Entry: Dreaming…

Crazy old ape

Quote by JamesPBear
Instead, there's social media – which I don't particularly enjoy or approve of.

Funnily enough, that seems to be the case in the music world now, too. And, yeah, different musicians definitely take to it differently. I know musicians who avoid it like the plague and let others handle it for them and others who take to it like a fish to water. A lot of millennial and Gen Z indie musicians are building their whole careers around it.

Crazy old ape

PS. Has anyone heard from Anna lately? She's been scarce for a month or so now. Hope she is well and just occupied with other things.

White Rose

Quote by Mendalla

PS. Has anyone heard from Anna lately? She's been scarce for a month or so now. Hope she is well and just occupied with other things.

Anna has been on my mind these past couple weeks. I think she is busy with other things. Maybe stuff having to do with promoting "The Nurses." Life gets to all of us at different times. I doubt anything is wrong. I certainly hope all is well with her.

Paradise

White Rose

Edit: Anna was online one day ago. Maybe she has just been checking in, possibly reading some posts, maybe stories, but staying quiet.

Jim has been gone two months, more or less. He never responded to my message I wrote him. I certainly hope he is doing alright.

James, it is good to see a post from you. I thought you had left. I am glad that is not the case. 😊

Paradise

Quote by Cora

Edit: Anna was online one day ago. Maybe she has just been checking in, possibly reading some posts, maybe stories, but staying quiet.

Jim has been gone two months, more or less. He never responded to my message I wrote him. I certainly hope he is doing alright.

James, it is good to see a post from you. I thought you had left. I am glad that is not the case. 😊

No, I'm here. Some days I just check and see what's going on, but life has been complicated of late, mostly because of the book.

I have barely written a lick since the last comp.

😕

Crazy old ape

Quote by JamesPBear
I have barely written a lick since the last comp.

I usually write words and lick popsicles but you do you. 😉🤣

AND…good morning campers! How's the tea looking today?

(checks the coffee and tea pots – not a sausage)

OK, so we'll use some Costa Rican dark roast for the coffee, and Darjeeling for tea.

Lady Jay and I are going to Stratford (Ontario) to see La Cage au Folles tonight, and staying with friends.

And no, I'm not going to be starring, so please – no autographs!

(crickets)

Hmmm… gotta work on my star power charisma!

Okey-dokey folkies … take care of each other, OK?

Crazy old ape

Quote by JamesPBear

Lady Jay and I are going to Stratford (Ontario) to see La Cage au Folles tonight, and staying with friends.

Have fun. I didn't even check the playbill for this year so didn't know they were mounting La Cage. Weird that I hardly ever go when I can drive to Stratford in an hour or less on a good day.

And thanks for getting things going. I'll take a Darjeeling tea (coincidentally, I just brewed some for my morning work tea).

2024 Halloween story is progressing nicely. Might end up as a Flash since it's a bit short and might have a bit of a punchline to it. We shall see.

White Rose

Good morning, everyone.

James, I hope you have a fun time.

It is a dreary and rainy Autumnal morning here.

verbal, a big night tonight for you and Sara, as well as Wednesday and Thursday. The Mets and Braves playing against each other. They should be great games.

I hope everyone has a beautiful day.

"Let's hear it for the Mets!"

"Go big or go home, Braves!"

Paradise

Kaiju-adjacent

James, I’d be happy to write a review. It’s a good story. I will even reread it - I think I missed a couple chapters in the middle.

Cora, it is indeed a big series. I wish Sara was around to enjoy the competition. Or Red to be bored by my talk of baseball. And Anna! Where did they go? I still have to read your poem, Cora!

My Weird Western story is coming out on Halloween! And I have a chunk of memoir coming out by the end of the year. It’s been a good year (though I almost quit writing in the middle of it).

Seize the carp, everyone!

Kaiju-adjacent

Quote by Mendalla

Now that is good timing. 😎

It's just marketing. smile