Find your next favourite story now
Login

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House: If you're reading this it just might mean I'm back, sorta. If you're not reading this, well, congratulations.

last reply
9.5k replies
417k views
16 watchers
1.0k likes
Kaiju-adjacent
2 likes

Quote by WriterGirl

Hiya everybody!

I’m sponsoring a fun writing challenge. 1st place 500 coins ($50). Second place 375 coins ($37.50).

See link below.

https://www.storiesspace.com/forum/stories-space-writing-prompts-challenges/summer-24-hint-fiction-writing-challenge-for-lots-of-coins

Oh, this sounds like fun! Cool prompts too! I should have something by the end of the day. Or the end of tomorrow.

Ringo, Elyse? The least unattractive Beatle, in my world-weary eyes. What about John? In a related note, I have a strong memory of my Mom and my sister talking about Paul McCartney, and how he was almost too pretty. Note the “almost.” They both loved him.

Another hot one! Writing today, plus a short walk out in that sweltering heat. And the Mets game tonight! Life is good.

Coffee please. And a spaceship cookie!

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Shy Scribbler
1 like

I know I’m alone when I say I don’t find any Beatle appealing. Or their music. (please don’t throw things at me)

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Crazy old ape
1 like

I like the music and I'm a big George fan but can't say I'm really attracted to any of them. Great musicians but none of them are my type, I guess.

Attending a wedding reception as "cover" for a friend opens the door to some revelations and discoveries.

Plus One - "Not What It Looks Like" comp THIRD PLACE!!

Kaiju-adjacent
1 like

Quote by WriterGirl

I know I’m alone when I say I don’t find any Beatle appealing. Or their music. (please don’t throw things at me)

My wife doesn't like the Beatles either. So I won't throw anything.

Carey’d away.
1 like

Quote by verbal

Ringo, Elyse? The least unattractive Beatle, in my world-weary eyes. What about John? In a related note, I have a strong memory of my Mom and my sister talking about Paul McCartney, and how he was almost too pretty. Note the “almost.” They both loved him.

Yes, Ringo. Him was my first love at the age of 5 (fell in love while watchin' him as Mr. Conductor 'n never looked back) but I like them all in varied degrees.

Quote by WriterGirl

Nah, you're good. Now, if somebody insulted Tom Petty, that would be a problem cause I - I'm kind of a one-person protection squad where him's concerned.

My heart has wi-fi and the password is Drew Carey.

Crazy old ape
1 like

Tom Petty is just a terrible musician and ...😕... oh, who am I kidding, I love a lot of his music.

Good morning.

Hmmm. Lavazza seems to the coffee of choice in Northern Europe so we've got Perfetto in the coffee pot. Teas are Russian Caravan and English Breakfast. Hot water is one for other hot beverages. Cold drinks are all refreshed.

Currently attempting WriterGirl's 70 word challenge. Easier than wrestling with the story I have going.

Which leads me to a writing question. If you have a longer work going on and it stalls at a particular scene, do you skip that scene and come back to it later? Just thinking that might solve a problem I am having. I'm hung up on how to play a scene and starting to think I'll just jump over it and then it might come together once I have the next couple scenes in place.

Attending a wedding reception as "cover" for a friend opens the door to some revelations and discoveries.

Carey’d away.
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Tom Petty is just a terrible musician and ...😕... oh, who am I kidding, I love a lot of his music.

Very funny. I know you're kidding so it's okay but if somebody were to insult him in a mean way (like the person elsewhere who described him as the Applebees of music) I'd really be upset.

I - I very much doubt y'all know exactly how much I love Tommy.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by JustAnotherSapphic
like the person elsewhere who described him as the Applebees of music

😲

One wonders what music they like, though I know a lot of indie music fans tend to turn up their noses at anything even slightly mainstream. And fans in some niches, like metal and punk, can be like that, too, with music outside their niche (or even music inside it that doesn't meet their standard).

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

“The Applebees of music” is pretty funny, but Tom Petty seems to be pretty universally beloved. Fine with me. Did I tell you I saw once in concert. Lenny Kravitz opened. Good concert.

Hot today. Acupuncture and writing. And I know no one cares about this but me, but the Mets are playing the Yankees. We’ll likely lose, but it’s a rivalry. Sorry Red. Has anyone heard from Red lately?

Anyway. A coffee and a million cookies please.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by verbal
Tom Petty seems to be pretty universally beloved. Fine with me. Did I tell you I saw once in concert. Lenny Kravitz opened.

Kravitz and Petty seems like a good bill. Different enough to keep things interesting but close enough that fans of one will probably like, or at least be okay with, the other.

Carey’d away.
0 likes

Quote by verbal
Tom Petty seems to be pretty universally beloved.

As him should be. Him's pretty much my favorite person at this point.

Crazy old ape
1 like

Saying anything negative about Tom would just be...😎...petty. 🤣

Carey’d away.
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Saying anything negative about Tom would just be...😎...petty. 🤣

Hearin' anything bad bout him is a real heartbreaker.

I - I love him so much I could cry.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Goooooooooooooooooooood Morning!

Coffee is brewing, there's tea in the teapots. Water is boiled if you need something else. Cold drinks are waiting in the fridge.

Crazy old ape
1 like

Paging JustAnotherSapphic. If you're at all into country, this might be of interest. It was recommended as a "road trip disc" by, of all places, Scientific American. Well, the editor of their daily newsletter anyhow.

https://store.tompetty.com/products/petty-country-a-country-music-celebration-of-tom-petty-cd

And I see Mike Campbell of The Heartbreakers guests on one track, so I guess this is official. Personally, I am intrigued by Rhiannon Giddens doing "Don't come around here no more". Her folk-bluegrass sound could do interesting things with that song, I think.

Carey’d away.
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla
Paging JustAnotherSapphic. If you're at all into country, this might be of interest. It was recommended as a "road trip disc" by, of all places, Scientific American. Well, the editor of their daily newsletter anyhow.

https://store.tompetty.com/products/petty-country-a-country-music-celebration-of-tom-petty-cd

And I see Mike Campbell of The Heartbreakers guests on one track, so I guess this is official. Personally, I am intrigued by Rhiannon Giddens doing "Don't come around here no more". Her folk-bluegrass sound could do interesting things with that song, I think.

I'm not at all into country. Tommy is kind of my exception though 'n while I did hear of the album, I'm gonna pass cause I feel like nobody could sing those songs the way Tommy could.

Crazy old ape
1 like

Quote by JustAnotherSapphic

I'm not at all into country. Tommy is kind of my exception though 'n while I did hear of the album, I'm gonna pass cause I feel like nobody could sing those songs the way Tommy could.

I'm listening to it and very impressed so far. Highlight of the first quarter or so is Dolly Parton's take on "Southern Accents". Nothing weird, just a solid ballad with a string section and country band behind her. But I just got to "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" covered by Lady A (formerly Lady Antebellum) and it sounds like they nail it. It's one of my favourite Petty songs. OTOH, Luke Combs, being part of the current generation of country artists who count guys like Petty among their influences, pretty much does "Running Down the Dream" as a straight version of Petty's original.

One thing it does point up is what an f-ing brilliant songwriter he was. I expect we'll be hearing his songs for the rest of eternity.

Mystica Flora
0 likes

Hey everyone.

I hope all is well. No complaints here. I am going to try writing today. Hopefully it turns out well. It is a gloomy day today. The past few days there have been severe thunderstorms from night through morning and sporadically throughout the day. I like that kind of weather, though.

I have extra bass ear buds; they are excellent. Currently music is flowing through my ears and I am off to write.

I hope everyone has a beautiful day. ✍️ 🎶 ❤️

Lillie

"It's Not What It Looks Like" contestant; true story regarding a normal collegiate day that took a drastic turn.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by Cora
I have extra bass ear buds; they are excellent.

Oo, I should look into those. Would probably be better for rock and metal than what I have. Wired or Bluetooth?

Quote by Cora
It is a gloomy day today. The past few days there have been severe thunderstorms from night through morning and sporadically throughout the day.

We had that yesterday morning. Then a band of storms came through with high winds that knocked out power in a good chunk of the city. Work was fine but home was out.

Mystica Flora
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla
Oo, I should look into those. Would probably be better for rock and metal than what I have. Wired or Bluetooth?

They are wired. I have had them for years. Excellent for rock but I listen to rock, indie, and classical for the most part. They work great for everything. Mine are Sony Extra Bass. You can get them for ~$30.00 USD at eBay.

Quote by Mendalla

We had that yesterday morning. Then a band of storms came through with high winds that knocked out power in a good chunk of the city. Work was fine but home was out.

Yikes. Hope everything is back to normal now. We lost power briefly on Monday I think.

Lillie

"It's Not What It Looks Like" contestant; true story regarding a normal collegiate day that took a drastic turn.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by Cora
Hope everything is back to normal now.

The local hydro got things back online fairly quickly. Just had to adjust a bunch of clocks when I got home (wife leaves that for me). Saw a tree down on my way to work this morning in a cemetary of all places. It's a old one from a church that used to be there (the church still exists but moved to a new building less than a kilometer to the West back in the eighties).

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

I've heard of this, but haven't listened yet. Dierks Bentley, who we are seeing in August, has an excellent cover of American Girl on it.

Mets beat the Yankees yesterday!

Write/walk/baseball/repeat. In other news, I've turned Talia onto...wait for it...The X-Files! We're starting with Season One and working our way forward. Roughly an episode a night.

Coffee and cookie please!

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by verbal
Dierks Bentley, who we are seeing in August, has an excellent cover of American Girl on it.

Yep, that one is pretty good, too. I haven't got to Rhiannon yet.

Carey’d away.
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

One thing it does point up is what an f-ing brilliant songwriter he was. I expect we'll be hearing his songs for the rest of eternity.

God, I hope so. It's like - I can and do listen to other artists, but at the end of the day, nothin' and nobody sounds better to me than my Tommy.

By the way, if anyone has SiriusXM, there's an entire channel devoted to Tommy called Tom Petty Radio. It has him's songs and repeats of this radio show him did called Buried Treasure.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Woohoo! Some more "hints" in WriterGirl's challenge including a curious Aussie and a bear. This might get more entries than the last official comp at this pace. 😲

Putting on some Las Chicas dark roast in the coffee pot. Teas are Assam and Earl Grey. Hot water is on for other hot beverages. Cold drinks are looking good.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Morning all.

Nothing new here. I keep forgetting about WG’s contest! 70 words. I will try to work on that today. As Ape said on another site, I am starting to spread myself too thin.

Making popcorn for the debate tonight. Gonna be a hard watch, but we will do it.

Coffee please. And a rocket cookie. Do we have one of those?

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by verbal
Making popcorn for the debate tonight.

How much will end up in your stomach vs. getting thrown at the screen in rage and disgust? Apparently, I can watch it on CBC Gem, the national network's streaming app. I suspect I would rather have cataract surgery again than watch those two go at it. And Kennedy is having some kind of alternative event where he sits on a stage and responds to what they are saying. It is supposed to be streaming on X and his website.

👑Magic Cookie FAIRY 🍪
0 likes

Hi peeps

Been a busy few days here but it's finally settled down so I'm here with FRESH COOKIES

cleaning out the empty cookie jar and filling it to the tippy top with fresh cookies today's cookies are a mix of cookies : Grimace, Ronald Mcdonald,Birdie , rockets, stars , moons , puppy paw prints and kitty cat paw prints

Probably won't watch the debates ... too frustrating silly

giving the adorable critters fresh water and treats

Probably will binge watch Bones today smile

pouring a large coffee with a splash of hot chocolate

climbing up in my favorite overstuffed chair

My Competition Story : 💜 Milly's Adventure https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/childrens/millys-adventure-2

Crazy old ape
0 likes

G'mornin'

munches on a rocket cookie

Thanks for the cookies, Sara.

Bit grey here but the rain isn't supposed to come until tomorrow so could be worse I guess. Was mostly nice yesterday, anyhow.

Made some rando coffee that was left over in a tin. No idea what it is or how good it is. Could even be our "house blend" (ie. a bunch of ends and dregs). Teas are Red Rose and English Breakfast. Hot water is on for other drinks. Iced tea and lemonade are refreshed for those needing something chillier. And the soda stock is replenished.

Later, alligators.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Well that was unpleasant.

Hot day today, and not much planned. Write/walk/baseball. Still pounding away at the demonized MRI machine story.

A coffee, please, and a GRIMACE cookie! How did I miss those?